Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Road Not Taken

Some of you who read this blog (who am I kidding; no one reads this blog) might be aware that I try to write screenplays on the side. I hold down a 9-to-5 job (ok, it's more like 7am to 8pm) that pays the bills. I play boardgames and watch movies. When inspiration strikes me, I write. Of course, since I'm writing in these weblogs of mine, I'm not writing for my screenplays, which is delinquent of me but screenwriting takes more effort than I can channel after a day of wrangling with Sarbanes-Oxley and financial projections. Here, I can just vent or muse.

whl over at The Screenwriting Life talks about how people he used to work with charge/earn astronomical sums for their time, likely working similar hours to myself or more. He gave it up, along with all the security, to have more time to write.

Sometimes I wonder about the choices I've made. I know that I can write, and do it well. I know I have stories in my head and in my heart that want to be placed on the page or screen. But as fate has it, it's not my only love. Unlike whl, I actually enjoy much of what I do for my day job. I also enjoy writing, and it's my dream to be able to write and direct feature films as a career. But I guess I'm lucky. Even if that's not in the cards (and I haven't completely written it off, given that I'm still clutching to the fragments of work that I'm still adding to laboriously), I still have something I enjoy doing to fall back on.

That's not a small thing. I'm thankful for that.

No comments: