Wednesday, December 07, 2005

The Adventures of Sharkboy and Lavagirl (1/4 stars)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

I've never been a fan of Robby Rodriguez's Spy Kids series. Yes, I know I'm not the target audience for these films, but I can still tell the difference between a good kiddie film and a bad kiddie film. And yes, I didn't see this in 3D, I saw it on an airplane.

In Sharkboy and Lavagirl, they're not even the main characters. The protagonist is a daydreaming kid named Max who created them as superheroes in his imagination. Rodriguez does the expected "merge imagination with reality" thing, and Max is off to save an imaginary planet with his imaginary friends. The story is awful, even for a kiddie movie.

The actors are ok, but the Taylor that plays Sharkboy (both the boy and the girl are named Taylor) got on my nerves. The little musical number that appears out of the blue in the middle of the film must have done it. (That had no place in the movie and broke what little coherence it had.) George Lopez gets to ham it up (you've probably seen him on TV) in a ludicrously over-the-top character.

Even the ending was very silly. Even for a kids' movie.

Bottom line: Skip it. This is a bad kiddie movie.

No comments: