Sunday, July 10, 2005

Inflight viewing: Hitch (2/4) and Coach Carter (1.5/4)

One of the cool things when flying Singapore Air is its inflight
entertainment system. It's got everything on demand - film, audio,
television and shorts, videogames. Last trip (two weeks ago) I chose Hitch
on the way to Sing. I actually was eyeing Mar Ardento (The Sea Inside) or A
Very Long Engagement, but I knew from the running times that I couldn't
complete the films before landing. So I had to step down in quality. Way
down.

At least I had fun with Hitch. My wife Chris and I enjoy The King of Queens,
if only because Carrie and Doug remind us of ourselves. Kevin James is still
entertaining on the big screen. Too bad that Will Smith mailed this one in.
Formula romantic comedy, inoffensive but unremarkable except for James.

My flight back found me choosing Coach Carter. It turner out to be no more
than expected - a formula sports-themed inspirational "based on a true
story" film that let's Samuel L. Jackson hit his tough guy riffs. Completely
forgettable.

Now that it's July, SQ will have a whole new set of films. I hope my choices
on this trip are a bit better.

No comments: